Re: [nsp] Cisco 7507 performance

From: Alex Bligh (amb@gxn.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 16:16:37 EDT

My recommendation is that 75xx and Gigabit Ethernet do not mix,
and certainly do not mix at high traffic volumes. 12xxx are much
better, and not much pricier, particularly if you factor in
the cost of post-traumatic care w.r.t. 75xx etc.

RvdOever@chello.nl said:
> The gigabit int is only available as a single interface processor card
> (GEIP) right now so you can't benefit from dCEF here (switching
> between Port Adapters on the Linecard itself).

This is not true. GEIP's behave like they are a single PA on a VIP
(which they are not, but they support dCEF in this manner). You will
find all your favourite VIP like commands work on them, it downloads
an independent running version of IOS to the GEP etc. dCEF is not
switching between two PA's on the same card (necessarilly), it
is the holding of adjacency tables on the VIPs (or other card)
such that packets can be switched across the backplane without even
interrupt-level participation by the RSP. This is as functional with
the GEIP as it is with (say) VIP-2-50 + your favourite PA's.

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, Concentric Network Corporation