Re: [nsp] dCEF repair pressure group (was: Re: performance impact on rate-limit)

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 11:43:32 EDT

Tony Tauber <ttauber@genuity.net> writes:

> The problem came when there were many outbound
> interfaces (eg. CT3s or as you mention PVCs, VLANs) and we
> had only 2MB of SRAM (the max on VIP2-40s).
> The SRAM is carved into equal-sized chunks for these queues.

I am pretty sure that I have read that you can put 4mb of SRAM on a
vip2-40. This configuration was not originally shipped by Cisco, but
is said to work. Plausible enough considering that until recently
Cisco did not ship 2-40s or CX-FEIP2-2xx-DSWs with 64mb of memory,
even though it would work if you put the right SIMMs in. Sourcing the
SRAM dimms could prove to be *extremely* costly, and is probably not
worth it if you can possibly afford or justify VIP2-50 or VIP4
cards... but in the interests of being pedantic (something I do
fairly well, I believe), I had to point out that AFAIK it _is_
technically possible to go 4mb on those boards.

                                        ---Rob