[nsp] A basic question on Cisco POS interface counter

From: Yu Ning (yuning@ns.chinanet.cn.net)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 21:06:56 EDT

Hi All,

We have two parallel POS 155M links, they are heavily loaded, because
they link up two GSR 12008 in our core. But the counter in one interface (A)
is quite strange. It indicates only 90M bps output direction, while at
its receiver side, it shows 144M bps - I clear their counter at nearly
the same time to sync them, then after while they are still 90M,144M.

I believe that the interface A should be around 144M, because we have a
MRTG polling the MIB, and it shows the speed is also around 144M.
One possible hint is, if checking the "from fabric queue" of interface A,
we'll find the queue element is not empty- indicate a jam, if it's in that
situation, the counter goes wrong ?

Note, all the speed is 5min input/output speed shown in the "sh int"
command.

If we can't trust 5 min speed, what can we believe in this situation?

thanks any input!

regards,

(Mr.) Yu(2) Ning(2)
Int'l/Domestic Routing/Resource Man.
ChinaNET(AS4134) Backbone Operation Center
Networking Dep.,Datacom Bureau, China Telecom.
Beijing,P.R.C +86-10-66418105/66418121/66418123(fax)