Re: [nsp] Moving a data center

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 13:31:06 EDT

Well, it depends on your actual traffic volumes.

Cisco routers have performance limitations operating as bridges
or mixed routing/bridgin modes and you might hit the wall well before
155mb/s of bridged traffic.

You could look at ethernet bridging via the Fore switches, can you
plug Fast-E cards into them and let them transparently bridge between
the two sites across the existing OC-12?

You can make the same Class-C appear in two places relatively
transparent to the servers (host routes and proxy-arp/aliasing),
this is fairly trivial if the servers don't need to talk to each
other, a pain if there's a lot community action.

Ideally you'd like to subset things into nice Class-C sized clusters
than can be moved within that 10-server limit, but in addition to
whatever the moving guys say, the more boxes you move at once, the
more downtime gettting them put back together and untangling what
didn't quite go as expected.

If you have $$$ to burn in exchange for a maximally transparent move,
I'd look at a hardware based ethernet bridging solution. Some of the
folks in the corporate world may have a better perspective on large
bridged ethernet configurations in Ciscoland, NSP's usually manage to
dodge that one.

                                                        Goerge