Re: TACACS+ source code?

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 07:39:33 EDT

Thanks to all those that answered -- I've got it up and running now.

Just wanted to raise a small point for the more paranoid among your
number. For some curious reason, the daemon seems to have no regard
for the current setting of 'umask' and sets the permissions on its
PID file (/etc/tac_plus.pid) to -rw-rw-rw if it has to create it
when it starts up (it also removes it when it shuts down).

This behaviour is a potential security exposure, in that it will
allow an unprivileged user to write to the PID file, and (assuming
it was invoked via an /etc/init.d script on an SVR4 system) cause
a different PID to be killed when the init.d script is invoked
with an argument of 'stop'.

One fix is to do 'touch /etc/tac_plus.pid' in the init.d script
before starting the daemon, so as to avoid the need for it to
create the PID file. Of course, if you start the daemon from
inetd, the above is not an issue, although of course there is
still a potential root filing system disk space usage attack
(achieved by writing lots of data to the file) in either case.

Thanks for listening - we now return you to the scheduled programme!

M.