Re: [nsp] Advantages of IS-IS over OSPF

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 18:25:21 EDT

Tony Barber <tonyb@uk.uu.net> writes:

> "Martin, Christian" wrote:
>

> > Perhaps the biggest strength in IS-IS is that it is deployed
> > in the largest ISP networks, which represent the bleeding edge
> > in routing protocol implementation. As such, and certainly as
> > of recently, IS-IS gets new technology faster than OSPF.
>
> This is a somewhat circular argument.
> Legacy IGP > large network > more DE pressure etc etc

DE pressure?

Having recently read the RFC on Integrated IS-IS, and re-read
the RFC on OSPF, I think one of the things to be said in IS-IS's
favour is that is appears to be a more straightforward[1] protocol
to extend (evidenced by the implementors comments on the way it has
been extended to support MPLS functionality).

M.

[1] Following the KISS[2] principle.
[2] Keep It Simple Stupid.