[nsp] BERT Tests

From: Ron.Fuller@3x.com
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 15:30:30 EDT

Does anyone know the correct sequence of events required to run a BERT test
on a 7206VXR with the PA-MC-8T1 cards? When I run the BERT tests I get
errors that from what I see on CCO should be ignored. How do I know if the
BERT test was actually run properly? Here's an example:

CC-7206-000-01(config)#cont t1 5/3
CC-7206-000-01(config-contro)#bert pattern 0s interval 10
CC-7206-000-01(config-contro)#end
CC-7206-000-01#sh cont t1 5/3
T1 5/3 is up.
  Cablelength is long gain36 0db
   DSX1 BERT pattern : zeros
   DSX1 BERT sync : no sync
   DSX1 BERT sync count : 0
   DSX1 BERT interval : 10
   DSX1 BERT time remain : 10
   DSX1 BERT total errs : 23
   DSX1 BERT total k bits: 0
   DSX1 BERT errors (last): 0
   DSX1 BERT k bits (last): 0
  Applique type is Channelized T1
  No alarms detected.
  Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Internal.
  Data in current interval (584 seconds elapsed):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

CC-7206-000-01#sh cont t1 5/3
T1 5/3 is up.
  Cablelength is long gain36 0db
   DSX1 BERT pattern : zeros
   DSX1 BERT sync : no sync
   DSX1 BERT sync count : 0
   DSX1 BERT interval : 10
   DSX1 BERT time remain : 10
   DSX1 BERT total errs : 46
   DSX1 BERT total k bits: 0
   DSX1 BERT errors (last): 0
   DSX1 BERT k bits (last): 0
  Applique type is Channelized T1
  No alarms detected.
  Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Internal.
  Data in current interval (593 seconds elapsed):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

We can see the total error counters increasing, but the status never goes
into sync. It always says no sync. Any suggestions or help would be
appreciated.
We are running IOS 12.0(6)S

Ron Fuller, CCIE #5851, CCDP, CCNP-ATM, CCNP-Security, MCNE
3X Corporation
rfuller@3x.com