Re: [nsp] Imux'ing T3s?

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 20:18:21 EDT

you can load up to 600 mbit/s per PCI bus, the VXR has 2 PCI buses.
a DS3 is going to grab 90 mbit/s [max]. so even if you put all 5 on
the same PCI bus, 5 * 90 = 450 mbit/s, the PCI bus won't be overloaded.
however it would be recommended you split the PAs between the 2 buses.
the 1.2 gbit limit is a conservative limit that we are willing to support.
the theoretical limit is much higher, but we only want to support what we
feel is a practical throughput.

that said, the NPE-300 switches 300 kpps under lab conditions
using POS interfaces. so your mileage may vary.

i would think if you are using say a IMix packet size of about 276 bytes,
you will need

450 / (276 * 8) = 203804 pps

if you are running all 5 DS3s full bore in both directions.

i would recommend discussing this issue with your local account team. they
may be able to go thru' this stuff with you and figure out if the NPE-300
will work for you, or if other products/NPEs in the 7200 family roadmap
might work for you.

cheers
.siva