RE: [nsp] WCCP and IOS 12.1

From: Barry Raveendran Greene (bgreene@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 13:48:24 EDT

> I am pretty sure Squid 2.3 only supports WCCPv1. I had thought that Cisco
> did not release WCCPv2 openly yet.

WCCPv1 and v2 have both been posted as IETF drafts in the WREC working
group:

        http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-forster-wrec-wccp-v1-00.txt
        http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wilson-wrec-wccp-v2-00.txt

We're now treating WCCP like Netflow. Cisco makes products for WCCP, we help
freeware/shareware projects, and we help Partners create products that will
work with WCCP.

So if people want to code things to WCCP - have at it. At Cisco we're
putting things like the CR4400 Content Router as a WCCP client. WCCPv2
intercept port 53 redirects DNS request to the CR4400 for resolution. So
even thought "Web" is part of the protocols title - it functionality is not
just web.

Lincoln Dale has WCCPv2 reference code that he will submit to Squid. Right
now he's swamped - but it is on his queue.

BTW - if you are going to code WCCP devices, let me know and we'll plug you
into the specific wccp support alias.

Barry