[nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 07:38:23 EDT

Hi All,

Once again thanks a lot for all the advice. I have read that VPN routing
information needs to be exchanged between Provider - Edge (PE) routers by
means of Multiprotocol extensions in BGP. Now I have also heard that
another alternative is the use of Virtual routers, wherein the same
information could be distributed by means of an IGP. Kindly advice on what
the difference between the two is?

Also which is the right way to go. My understanding is that while VPN
routes are exchanged between PE routers, information on Route
distinguishers (RD), & other information on the VPN needs to be also
passed on between PE's, & this is only possible using MBGP. Kindly correct
me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance..

With warm regards,
Vinod.