Re: [nsp] Channelized T1's & Access Routers

From: Lyle Evans (mlevans@blacksburg.net)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 18:30:04 EDT

At 02:05 PM 10/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been handling routing for web farms for quite a while and all my
>clients have leased lines (T1's, T3's, etc) and haven't done much in the way
>of dialup connects except for a portmaster here and there for backdoor
>stuff. As a result, I'm a little dumb about basic dial-up access and
>equipment.
>
>What access router would I need to take in a channelized T1 that needs to
>have 6 of the lines split out for feeds to a fax server and the remaining
>used for dialup POPs? I've been looking at the Ascend/Lucent SuperPipe 155
>and the Cisco 36xx and 53xx, but wonder if those can split out the fax
>server feeds I need from the T1.

Karyn,

        Take a look at something like the a Kentrox 72771 Quad Add drop CSU/DSU
see http://www.kentrox.com/products/72771/72771.htm for details. These things
allow you to slice and dice the CT1 DS0's just about any way you want, even
do it different by time of day, they split out the data into up to 4 V.35 etc
interface and also have a DX-1 for voice (PBX etc) and a builtin BERT testing
function. They are really amazing boxes. To get an idea of what is possible
take a look at the manuals in pdf at the website. Here is a little from the
web site.

        The DataSMART T1 MAX has enough ports to handle the most complicated voice,
 video, and data integration applications. As a multiplexor for Frame Relay
 service, it allows up to tour departmental routers to connect to the network
 and guarantees each department bandwidth and billing autonomy. The Quad-Port
 Add/Drop can also integrate voice, video, routers, fax, and HDLC traffic
 such as SNA and X.25.Supports T1, FT1, Frame Relay, SMDS DXI, ATM DXI, and
 ATM FUNI services. DataSMART T1 MAX Multimedia Access Multiplexers are fully
 compatible with AT&T TRs 54D16, 62411, ANSI T1 .403 ESF standards and
 FCC Parts 68 and 15. Four data ports plus one voice for enterprise
 networks Integrated DSU/CSU functionality Complete bandwidth management
 Selectable V.35 and EIA-530/RS449 data ports LCD control panel PCMCIA slot
 for optional network management Ethernet adapter card Embedded SNMP agent
 with Enterprise MIB Integrated AC power supply Supports T1, FT1 Frame Relay,
 SMDS DXI, ATM DXI, ATM FUNI services.

 Manufacturers list price $3595.00.

Now for the sort of off topic, we have a brand new still factory sealed
that we don't need and are trying to sell for $1,895.00 as well as two
used older 78771 (somewhat less capable) for $750.00 each.

Lyle Evans
Blacksburg.Net