Re: [nsp] Cisco 3660 Memory

From: Rob Szarka (szarka@downcity.net)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 19:48:59 EDT

At 11:59 AM 10/6/00, you wrote:
>We're running a Cisco 3661 router with 128 Megs of RAM in it and would like
>to bump it up to the max of 256 Megs. I checked at Kingston and there list
>price is around $2,500. Cisco appeared to be around $5,000 for it and then
>I went to Crucial and they have it listed for $125.99 I've used Crucial
>memory before with great success. I also found some off brand listed at
>about $200.00 So I'm wondering if there is a reasoning behind the wide
>price range and will the crucial memory work?

I've used Kingston's memory for the 3640 and 2501 without incident. Given
the vast savings, I took the approach of buying spares for the memory so I
could swap it if necessary to eliminate the third-party memory as the
problem (and still came out way ahead on price!).

For the 3660, according to Cisco pre-sales tech support, the following are
the 'approved' parts:

Hyundai: HYM74651601ATFG-10P
NEC: MC-4516CD646LF-A80
Samsung: M366S1623DT0-C1H

Of course, 'approved' doesn't mean Cisco will officially support a router
with this memory inside; it just means Cisco says it should work. There
are plenty of other companies who make DRAM they claim will work in the
Cisco 3660 routers, such as Memory Edge and GoldenRAM. With them, the
memory can run under $200 per 128MB.

I, too, would welcome feedback on what DRAM works or doesn't in the 3660
series routers. (In fact, if anyone can price a new or used 3662 and/or
the trimmings aggressively, please feel free to email me off list and I
will reply with the part numbers.) Given the $7000+ savings, I just can't
justify 'real Cisco memory'.

--

Robert Szarka CTO/President, Chelsea Data Inc. +1 800 954 INET CTO/Partner, DownCity LLC +1 860 823 3000 #include "whois 'handle RS495@whois.networksolutions.com'"