Re: [nsp] Weird peering/routing issue

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 16:50:58 EDT

I'd say this is a start-from-zero and make sure that things as are
you think they are on the customer router.

Often this kind of thing occurs when "ip classless" falls out of a
config due to an upgrade or retrofit or boot accident.

ip classless went from being not-the-default, to the default, then
back to being not the default, but inserted automatically by the
setup script.

People saying "ip classless is now the default" are confused. 8-)

12.0.7S:

earth-angel#show run | inc class
ip classless
earth-angel#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
earth-angel(config)#default ip classless
earth-angel#show run | inc class
no ip classless

CEF problems are also possible, but most often observered on the 7500's,
current releases seem to be fairly problem free on the simple routers.

There are also some problems here and there with BGP and other routing
protocols.

1) is it "can't get to" from the perspective of the router or some box
        out on their ethernet?

2) are other protocols involved?

3) is there another route for the /24 popping into existance?

Look at the route for the /30, /24 and /19 both as show ip route
and show IP BGP - make sure that're are no surprises as far as
the "best router" and also it's next-hop.

Check to make sure that auto-summary isn't making fun for you...

                                                        George