[nsp] 7206 HSSI interface resets

From: Steven Saner (ssaner@southwind.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 12:28:27 EDT

Description of problem:

We have a 7206 that is currently loaded with the following
configuration, as of Saturday, 14 October 2000.

        IOS: Version 12.0(2)XE1
        Processor: NPE200
        Memory: 128M

        Slot 0: Motherboard with FastEthernet interface
        Slot 1: PA-FE-TX Single FastEthernet adapter
        Slot 2: PA-MC-8T 8 x T1 adapter
        Slot 3: HSSI interface
        Slot 4: PA-MC-8T 8 x T1 adapter
        Slot 5: PA-4E 4 x Ethernet adapter
        Slot 6: PA-A3 ATM Adapter

We are seeing interface resets on the HSSI interface. The frequency of
resets do seem to increase with increased load. The bandwidth load of
the HSSI interface does not peak beyond about 50%. It is connected to a
DS3 via a Larscom CSU/DSU

Prior to Saturday, 14 October 2000, the same router had a PA-MC-8T
adapter in slot 3 that was not being used, and there was a dual
FastEthernet adapter in Slot 1 (in place of the single FE adapter
there now). The HSSI adapter that is in slot 3 now was in a second
7206 connected to the same circuit that it is now. A crossover
ethernet cable was used between the two 7206s. In that configuration
we did not see any interface resets on the HSSI interface.

We have attempted to upgrade the IOS to 12.0(9)S. While that IOS was
running (about 1/2 hour) we did not see any interface resets, but we
had to revert back to the current IOS because of problems with the ATM
sub-interfaces that are associated with bridge-groups for provisioning
ADSL service.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@southwind.net                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963