Re: PA-T3 interface not responding

From: Christian Kratzer (ck@toplink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 04:55:27 EDT

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Thomas Kernen wrote:

> Well a 7206VXR with 12.0(12)S and 2x PA-T3 isn't much. Only one card got
> out of sync the other was fine. I finally rebooted the box and it solved
> the problem. Seems that I don't have much luck with VXRs :(

Welcome to the club ...

we have a similar problem on a 7206VXR with an NPE300 and 256mb ram.
The box has

  FastEthernet0/0 on the IO controller
  Serial2/x PA-8T
  ATM6/x PA-A1-OC3-SM
  Serial3/0 PA-E3

We are running

  System image file is "slot0:c7200-p-mz.120-11.S.bin"

  cisco 7206VXR (NPE300) processor with 253952K/40960K bytes of memory.
  R7000 CPU at 262Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 1.0, 256KB L2, 2048KB L3 Cache
  6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.0

Two full bgp views and our internal ospf are also running on the machine.

Now and then it throws up after a write mem and dumps following to logging

2w3d: %MUESLIX-1-STOPFAIL: Mx serial, Serial3/0 Stop Failed at disable port
2w3d: %MUESLIX-1-FAILURE_CAUSE: Serial3/0: data dma excessive try, cause is LP
DMA: : 0x00000000, 0x00000000
2w3d: %MUESLIX-1-STARTFAIL: Mx serial, Serial3/0 Start Failed at enable port
2w3d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/0, changed state to down
2w3d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/0, changed state
to down

the E3 line goes down/down and can only be recovered by a reload.

The other thing that happens is that now and then the E3 stats to count
crc errors and we see packet loss. Once again reload is the only cure.

I think this stuff started after we added a second 128mb DIMM which was not
exactly the same as the previous one.

We have now ordered two new 128mb DIMMs and will replace them to get an
identical memory setup. Could be something else but this is the only thing
we can think of after replacing about everything else.

We previously already had trouble with an NPE-300 which caused intermittent
crashs in two different VXR chassis.

Of course we could also have a backbplane problem but how could I know ???

Any hints ???

Greetings
Christian

--