Re: [nsp] data compress

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 03:12:22 EST

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:09:51AM -0500, Teng, Judy wrote:
> I wonder someone is using data compress eigher in hardware or software on
> Cisco 26xx and Cisco 36xx.

We've tried to use compression adapter in 3640 and enable compression to 1601
on the other side of 256K link, and results were not good. We were
experiencing frequent compression sync loss, resulting in poor performance.
Actual compression rates weren't anything to talk about, even though majority
of the traffic was web and mail, that supposively should compress well.
Traffic was manly coming from 3640 side, so it wasn't an issue of CPU usage
on 1601 (it never ran into anything higher than 45-50%). So to sum it up, "I
wouldn't try it again".

SY,

--
   CCNP,CCDP (R&S)                                   Dmitri E. Kalintsev
   CDPlayer@irc          Chief of Network Operations @ Sonorous Networks