[nsp] REG: MPLS Traffic engineering

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 07:03:33 EST

Hi All,

Thanks once again for your valuble help. I am sorry for taking up so much
of your time, Kindly pls clarify a few points mentioned.

1.I understand flooding the entire network topology with IGP updates is'nt
scalable. What would be the right approach for a service provider with OSPF
as the IGP, designed with multiple areas to offer end-end MPLS VPN
services. Is it migrating to IS-IS?

("IS-IS networks tend to be a single much larger level, rather than several
small areas like OSPF has"). Kindly explain a little on this.

2. Are the Cisco IGX series switches MPLS ready? Since they are only layer
2 devices (FR/ATM), what will be the usefulness of being MPLS ready.
Because I feel it makes better sense for providers to use the BPX series,
which provide Layer 2 & Layer 3 functions built in. This will provide a
transparent view of the network to routing protocols, which are generally
hidden in ATM networks, Correct me if I am wrong? Just trying to see what
will fit in for our SP network.

3. This question is just out of the way, While offering MPLS VPN
services,what is the mathematical formulae for understanding how bandwidth
and distance relate to ping response times. How will it be possible to
offer an MPLS VPNs & commit on roundtrip times.

4. Another long standing confusion on how do we provide MPLS services for
mobile users, providing a dialup user seamless access to his corporate site
without using any encryption like IPSEC etc. Is it possible to do so
similar to doing it on leased circuits.

5. And lastly, While providing Internet access for a VPN customer, As
mentioned if I provide a default route in the global table, How does the
route statement apply, I mean how will I ensure that destination prefixes
that are not allowed to be routed for a particular customer do not choose
the global static route. For eg If VPN customer A is only authorized to
access destination prefix "192.168.100.0" which is part of his Intranet, &
if he tries to access another another prefix say "172.27.135.0", Will the
global table having the default route be referenced?

Kindly advice,

With warm regards,
Vinod.