RE: [nsp] Recommendations on Network Monitoring Software

From: Mark Persiko (persiko@bvsd.k12.co.us)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:40:24 EST

You might want some combination of network management
for interface utilization and a sniffer to show percentages
of traffic based on type (HTTP/FTP/etc).

I'm not using Cisco products for Network Management now;
we mostly have a BayStack switch platform and Cisco routers.
We use a Macintosh based product called "InterMapper" which
shows line charts of traffic levels and interface utilization.
I'm using it to monitor our T1 levels to see where we need
to add bandwidth. Information about this program can be
found at http://www.dartware.com/intermapper.

For a sniffer package, EtherPeek is a good one. It does
bar graphs and maybe also pie charts, and can analyze packets.
Besides reporting utilization, EtherPeek might help you
diagnose other network problems. You can find information
about it at http://www.wildpackets.com.

Thanks,
 Mark

- Mark C. Persiko, persiko@bvsd.k12.co.us
- MIS Dept, Boulder Valley Public Schools