Re: soft-reconfiguration inbound question

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 06:53:14 EST

soft-reconfig eats memory and seems to lead to more rapid fragmentation
and memory exhaustion, especially if you use it on sessions with full
or large numbers of routes (sprint, uu, etc) or the sessions are
unstable.

It's fairly safe to use on customer sessions or small-time peering
sessions, but you may want to note that with late IOS releases,
you can trigger your peer to resend their routes rather than trying
to remember the ones you didn't like. Doesn't give you the ready
reference of what you're filtering, but you can always turn on
debug ip bgp updates if you're desparate. 8-)

                                                George