RE: soft-reconfiguration inbound question

From: Tim Franklin (tim@colt.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 06:53:28 EST

> I just got off the phone with one of our peers. They had a
> route map that
> was eating some of our announcements. In the course of
> troubleshooting the
> tech could not do a sho ip bgp nei xxxx received-routes to look at the
> routes before they were processed by a route-map or filter.
>
> gw13#sho ip bgp neigh xxx.x.xx.x received-routes
> % Inbound soft reconfiguration not enabled
>
> Is there any reason to not configure soft-reconfig on a BGP session?

Memory. AIUI, soft-reconfig stores a copy of all the routes before they hit
the route-maps / filters, so you can either examine them (show
received-routes) or re-process them after you change your filters (soft
reload). If you take a full routeing table from your peer, you've suddenly
got to store ~180k routes instead of ~90k routes, which may be an issue,
depending on your router spec.

Regards,
Tim.

--
Tim Franklin           Email: tim@colt.net
Project Engineer       Phone: +44 20 7390 7848