[nsp] Cisco 7206 as DSL concentrator: A BAD IDEA!

From: Salvatore Privitera (sprivitera@telvia.it)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 02:38:33 EST

Hi all,

I'm using a set of Cisco 7206 as DSL concentrator for 6 month now, and I can
say only one thing: Cisco 7206 is not good as DSL concentrator.

In my opinion Cisco is one of the most respected Company in the Network
industry, but I can say that this time they maked a big flop.

After 6 month of work in our DSL infrastructure, from the first day we noted
a big problem in Cisco IOS, causing ATM to goes down without ANY reason, and
after a lot of time we must use the same IOS revision, because EVERY version
came out from Cisco after the first one as annoying Bugs that in the first
version are not exhibited.

A strange situation! below a list of the IOS that we tried, you can note
that we tried every version come out from Cisco supporting PPPoE ( we need
to support PPPoA and PPPoE).

1) 12.1.1aT1 - Is the first version that Cisco presented for use it 7200 and
featuring PPPoE, we noted at the begin LOT of memory align errors, and later
we encountered RANDOM ATM interface DOWN problems! From 1 problem in a week
to 4 in a DAY. Strange things is that PPPoA session and PPPoE sessions
worked well without any trouble (the only troubles came from ATM errors I
think)

2) 12.1.2T - After 6 week of problems came out the next version of IOS, we
tried it and immediate we noted that after a small amount of time it stopped
to accept PPPoE sessions! All problems of 12.1.1aT1 are gone but a bigger
one is here! Sticking on version 12.1.1aT1

3) 12.1.3aT series - This version will not authenticate any customer is you
are using "aaa authorization network default group radius", it gives strange
"AAA/FSM: Internal State is invalid".

4) 12.1.3aXX - When starting with this IOS all our customers using routers
cannon browsing any more, ping traceroutes are going quite well. Another
STRANGE thing!

Can some one help us?? There is out another IOS version to try? Any config
help? If you need other information send me a e-mail.

Thanks
Salvo