Re: [nsp] Traffic management for Colo centers

From: Chris Roberts (chris.roberts@uk.easynet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 04:31:33 EST

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:41:27PM -0500, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What IOS features would you recommend or have used for traffic management on
> a small colo center:
> - Generic Traffic Shaping
> - Committed Access Rate
> - Weighted Fair Class Based Queueing
>
> Can the small L3 Catalysts (only doing Fast Ethernet) do this, or would you
> do it on a 72xx serving a L2 switch?
>
> Thanks for your experiences.

Generic traffic shaping would be the best thing I think. CAR isn't intended
for customer traffic shaping, and probably wouldn't work too well.
Don't know whether the L3 Catalysts can do these, but certainly when we
looked at the features they didn't seem to support some other features that
were important to us such as NAT.
One of the larger colo's I have worked at have used 72xx's serving
Catalyst 5xxx's for this purpose, using VLAN's on a per customer basis,
and using generic traffic shape on each VLAN.

My $0.02.
Cheers,

--
|=========-----         -------=======| Unix, BASIC, C, PASCAL, APL, ADA,