Re: [nsp] Traffic management for Colo centers

From: Chris Roberts (chris.roberts@uk.easynet.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 04:35:39 EST

On flows of this size, I can see CAR producing better results. However
since it does no smoothing of flows, it produces nasty TCP performance,
as when customers burst, they will find their TCP sessions exceed their
excess burst and drop packets, causing TCP to go into slow restart.
In our applications (2meg LL shaped to 1meg and such) this is
not so useful. We have also evaluated, and are using the Packeteer,
which is I guess what you meant?

Cheers,
Chris.

--