RE: [nsp] REG: BGP Attributes

From: Suntrup, Paul C, NDINS (psuntrup@att.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 15:18:30 EST

Vinod,

Applying local preference to a route learned from your provider effects your
outbound traffic. It determines the best route for packets leaving your AS.

To effect your incoming traffic and/or to prevent your provider from
propagating your route(s) to the internet, ask your provider if they
recognize RFC 1998 communities sent to them from you. Some providers have
route-maps which read communities that you send them and set attributes
within the provider AS such as no-export or local preference. If your
provider does not currently have a standard route-map that supports RFC 1998
communities, perhaps they would build one for you if you ask.

Thanks, Paul