RE: [nsp] REG: BGP Attributes

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 03:58:51 EST

Dear Paul,

Thanks a lot for the advice.. Let me put my question a little more
clearer.Take the case of four routers, two located in Virginia, wherein one
router (ASBR) peers to external AS'es, while the other router is connected
to the ASBR on the ethernet, & has no peering to the external world. This
router drives the inter-pop backbone. The same case exists with the other
pair of routers located in California. Now the two routers which do not
peer with external AS'es run the inter-pop backbone. Also all the routers
run OSPF as the IGP & also run a full meshed IBGP without BGP
synchronization. Now assuming that both the ASBR routers are setting a
local pref of 200 for prefix 158.64.0.0/16, Assuming all other attributes
are the same, For traffic originating at the Virginia POP will the backbone
router (Non-ASBR) choose the Virginia ASBR as the exit point?

Also can the Backbone (NonASBR) router set local preference for routes
learned from the IBGP peers (ASBR) overriding the local preference values
set by the ASBR routers. Will this cause any conflict in the above
mentioned scenario.

Kindly advice.

With warm regards,
Vinod.