[nsp] When does a 2948G-L3 use the CPU to forward packets?

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 15:34:25 EST

Is there anybody here who can explain a bit more about how the 2948G-L3
hardware works (using it as a router, not an L2 switch!), and under what
circumstances hardware is *not* used to forward packets?

Background: We have observed significant problems with the 2948G-L3 and
asymmetric traffic patterns (e.g. traffic going out one port but little
or no traffic coming *in* the same port). CPU load seems to shoot through
the roof. As soon as we are able to establish symmetric traffic patterns,
CPU usage falls to normal levels - presumably indicating that hardware
is being used to forward the packets.