Statistics and SMDS

From: Ken Wortendyke (kwortendyke@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 21:01:56 EST

Greetings,

I have a site that would like to conduct some traffic analysis over their
SMDS WAN to the Internet. Their current egress point is a single DS3 on a
75xx. Last time I checked, NetFlow doesn't work on SMDS interfaces.

I don't like the two-layer hierarchy, but this is what we're dealing with...

The WAN is structed such that each remote site is a member of 1 of 18 SMDS
multicast groups. Both the main data center router and the Internet router
have a single DS3 with 18 sub-interfaces so these "core" routers are members
of each multicast group. As a final note, each SMDS group consists of 10-30
remote sites.

So, any suggestions on capturing traffic statistics with preferably Cisco
(they are primarily a Cisco shop) gear would be beneficial. Other platforms
instead of the 75xx, like a 6509 or other are an option, but if I can't do
Cisco, any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Ken Wortendyke