[nsp] REG: OSPF routes

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 08:22:07 EST

Dear All,

Here I am once again with a query in mind. Taking a scenario having two
routers interconnected with each other over a Point-Point link, wherein
each router has a dual connection to the Internet to different upstream
ISP's. Now if I have configured two default routes in each direction as
follows -

Router A
route 1 = ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISPA admin-distance = default ie 1
route 2 =ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP B admin-distance = 150

Router B

route 1 = ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISPA admin-distance = default ie 1
route 2 = ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP B admin-distance = 150

Now if I have configured both my routers to propogate a 0.0.0.0.0 route
using the "default-orginate" command into the OSPF domain as External Type
2 route which has an administrative distance of 110 by default, Will
router A use the propagated default route sent from router B in the event
of route1 with the default administrative distance going down, & will
router B also do the same.

The other point is that can I configure a route-map at both routers to
propagate the default route with the configured administrative distance if
only if route 1 in both routers is active (link is up), Otherwise the
default route should be propogated with a higher administrative distance,
so that each router will choose route 2 configured locally as the exit
path conserving the intercity bandwidth.

I will really be greatful if some examples could be illustrated.

The reason is we currently are in a position not to run BGP with some
providers, because of some limitations.

Kindly advice.

With warm regards,
Vinod.