[nsp] IBGP question

From: Damien Holloway (d.holloway@hill.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 00:19:21 EST

 Actually 2 questions

1) I have a router that is receiving updates via iBGP only (ie no
 eBGP peers). It is not taking routes learned via iBGP and putting
 them into the routing table unless I apply the command 'no sync'.

 I thought synchronization was only relevant to eBGP advertising.

 BTW BGP updates are NOT redistributed into the IGP ANYWHERE. So
 essentially no BGP routers were installing routes from the BGP
 table into the routing table unless I turned off synhronization.
 I only expected sync to effect the way I advertise to EBGP
 neighbors , not the way routes are installed into the table.

2) I also noticed in this multihomed network (to a single providor) that
only one edge router at a time was advertising Network X at any point in
time.
ie a router running only iBGP peering with 2 neighbours was receiving NLRI
about Network X
only from one of them even though both it's neighbours had EBGP sessions
into the neigbour AS and was receiving a path to Network X over each
session. This seems wierd.

 Can anyone clarify this is correct operation??

Are the 2 related issues?

I am running V12.0.3 IOS

 I guess this is more of a question about my understanding of
 BGP than of a config.

 Thanks

Damien