[nsp] Cisco 7206VXR + IPSec lan2lan experience

From: Shane Amante (shane@amante.org)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 13:30:33 EST

Hello. I'm wondering what has been people's experience who have
deployed a 7206VXR for termination of IPSec gateway-to-gateway
tunnels. (Yes, I've read through Cisco's product literature, but I'm
wondering what actual field experience has been as it relates to
performance and software stability). In my case, I'm looking to get
the most IPSec crypto (DES/3DES) performance out of the box across the
largest number of tunnels.

I'm considering the 7206VXR/NPE-400 with the multi-ISA feature to get
the best performace. Has anybody played with this combination?
What's the most number of tunnels you've terminated and the most
amount of traffic you've witnessed in this or similar configurations?

I realize the Cisco 3015 and up (a.k.a.: Altiga) are primarily used
for remote-access VPN tunnel termination, but it can do LAN-to-LAN as
well. Has anybody used this for a large number of LAN-to-LAN IPSec
tunnels? Does it stack up better or worse in this configuration vs. a
71/7200?

If people like, they can respond to me directly and I'll summarize the

Thanks for your help,

-shane

P.S. -- I realize and am aware of other vendors' boxes in this
category, I'm just looking for Cisco 72/7100 experiences for now.