RE: Problems with digital modem cards on AS5300

From: Todd Gorman (tgorman@lucent.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 11:33:44 EST

Well, from my experience it could be two likely candidates - the modem
firmware or IOS rev. I did not intentionally leave out the possibility of
hardware, but I would consider that the very last recourse - and any dummy
could suggest that!

Try this, if you have some flexibity to experiment. Keep half (or some
other reasonable proportion) of your modems on the same firmware (2.7.1.1),
and them upgrade the other half to 2.7.2.0. I have used 2.7.2.0 with good
success, even with 12 (7) T. You can do this under the SPE interface
config, if I am not mistaken. After all this, reload.

Now, take several hours to a day's worth of calls. Then, using the sh modem
output (and similar sh outputs), compare the health and success rates of the
two sets of modems. Is there a difference? Yes, then go with the better
firmware. No, then throw the router out the window (just kidding!).

If no, then consider an IOS upgrade. From my memory (please verify this, I
could be mistaken) 12 (8) T is not on the compatibility matrix from cisco
for the 2.7.2.0 firmware. What do I use? 121-4.0.1.T - yeah, that's
right!!! "ultra new at the time, almost beta code". Well, regardless of my
doubts, Cisco recommended it, and it works like a charm.

I hope this helps.

Todd