RE: [nsp] Unusual Cat 6509 MSFC Problem

From: Chin Wey Jake (jakechin@pacific.net.sg)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 10:24:51 EST

RE: [nsp] Unusual Cat 6509 MSFC ProblemHi,
Just wanted to chip in on this. We had similar problems in our network. We
have pair of 6509s and we had some real problems making sure HSRP was able
to run properly on the both of them. We had static routes to a certain
segment but placed them initially on only 1 of the MSFCs, but when the
active MSFC was failovered on one of them, the whole segment went haywire.
We realised that because the MSFCs do not sync, we had to place the same
static routes on all of them.

And I don't quite understand what Patrick Greene means when he said "Keep in
mind the MSFC's are always active and are not in standby mode even though
the supervisor module it resides on may be in standby" I though in HSRP,
only 1 of the MSFCs are active while the rest is on standby. Correct me if I
am wrong.

Is there a way to make sure the MSFC configs are synced if you are running
12.0(10)S? I am asking besides copying the config from 1 MSFC to the other
of course.

Jake
Cable and Wireless Network Services (Singapore)
A Pacific Century Cyberworks company.