[nsp] REG: Connectivity

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@antarix.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 06:49:04 EST

Dear All,

I do have some very basic doubts in my mind. Kindly help out on clarifying
it.

On a Cisco 2610 router connected to an upstream core ISP using an E1 link,
Does configuring Netflow switching on the LAN, & WAN interfaces which are
hosting quiet a bit of access-lists provide any performance benefits. Or
else will I need to configure CEF on the interfaces. Kindly tell me what
are the differences between both the switching mechanisms in terms of
performance benefits.

Also I need to configure CAR on the 2610 router limiting all inbound &
outbound IP traffic to and from a particular server only at the rate of 64
Kbps with the following configuration -

interface Ethernet0/0
 description ### Link to local LAN ###
 ip address y.y.y.y
  ip nat inside
 rate-limit input access-group 101 64000 64000 64000 conform-action
transmit exceed-action drop
 ip route-cache flow

interface Serial0/0
 description ### Upstream Link to Core ISP @ 2 Mbps ###
  ip address x.x.x.x
  rate-limit input access-group 102 64000 64000 64000 conform-action
transmit exceed-action drop
 ip route-cache flow

access-list 101 permit ip host y.y.y.y any log
access-list 102 permit ip any host y.y.y.y log

Will the configuration imply, that at any given point of time, the server
will only be able to send & recieve 64 Kbps of data, or else will the
minimum burst & excess burst add up to the average committed bandwidth by
giving the server 128 Kbps of bandwidth adding the minimum & excess burst.
Just trying to figure out whether CAR calculation of bandwidth is similar
to Frame-Relay, wherein CIR is average, & Bc, & Be together constiute the
transmission capacity & the Tc.

Kindly advice

Vinod.