Re: [nsp] VIP card CPU and Memory usage

From: Andrew Smith (awsmith@rip.ops.neosoft.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 20:23:40 EST

You can also do the following:

Router>enable
Password:
Router#if-con <slot number that the VIP is in>
C (for console mode)
[enter]
VIP-Slot9>show proc cpu
CPU utilization for five seconds: 10%/10%; one minute: 9%; five minutes: 9%
...etc...
VIP-Slot9>if-quit

if-con is an unsupported command and I have had instances where I
provided output from show commands while in the vip and had TAC
say "That's very interesting information, but as if-con is unsupported,
we can't trust that output as totally accurate".

While in if-con, you can do your regular IOS shows, etc. Just don't
try to change the config from there 8)

On 25-Jan-2001, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> Hello:
>
> You can use the command "sho controller vip <slot number>
> tech-support". You can good information by replacing tech-support with
> diagbus and align in the command above. As I understand it, the VIP is
> supposed to have fairly high process usage. More important is whether or
> not you have spurious interrupts, queue drops and the like.
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Hyunseog Ryu wrote:
>
> > Hi, folks
> >
> > Is there any way to get current CPU and memory usage from VIP card?
> > Either via SNMP query or command?
> > If it shows high utilization, we need to consider upgrade.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Hyun
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Hyunseog Ryu / CCDA, MCSE
> > Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
> > Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
> > The Guardians of Data
> > 275 North Corporate Drive
> > Brookfield, WI 53045-5818
> > Tel. +1.262.792.7965
> > Fax. +1.262.792.7733

> Michael K. Smith mike@wackypackets.com
>
> "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration,
> Communist indoctrination, Communist subvsersion and the
> International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all
> of our precious bodily fluids." -- Jack D. Ripper
>
> PGP Key: 92F3 3C34 34A2 6900 8F9C 9A35 6D2A D0A6 4846 3BE0

  ** Andrew W. Smith ** awsmith@neosoft.com ** Chief Network Engineer **
    ** http://www.neosoft.com/neosoft/staff/andrew ** 1-888-NEOSOFT **
     ** NeoSoft, Inc. An Internet America Company  1-800-BE-A-GEEK **
       ** "Opportunities multiply as they are seized" - Sun Tzu **