Re: [nsp] ARP Behavior

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 15:04:41 EST

this is due to the nature of a BVI interface. it's a "virtual" interface.
so if all the physical links associated with it are brought down, we
bring the BVI down. when there is at least one physical link that
is up, we will bring the BVI up. since the BVI is a virtual interface
and has no fixed mac address, we compute a MAC address each time it
comes up. end stations may not pick up the gratuitous arp we send out
when an interface comes up, so they may not see the new MAC address for
the BVI interface (it is likely to be different each time as we add some
randomness to the algorithm). to avoid this issue, configure a static
mac address on the BVI interface and the problem will be avoided. the
reason why in the earlier (no static mac address) a ping fixes the issue
is because the router is going to arp for the end device (we would have
flushed our arp cache when the interface went down), so both devices
would now have the correct arp entries for each other.

regards
.siva