Re: Why can not use both ICMP Redirect and HSRP ?

From: Kent Yu (yux@lucent.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 15:51:44 EST

Thanks Lars, I assumed the same, but definitely want to confirmation like
your post. The RFC 2281 really confuses me by saying "While running HSRP, it
is important to prevent the host from discovering the primary MAC addresses
of the routers in its standby
   group. Thus, any protocol that informs a host of a router's primary
   address should be disabled. Thus, routers participating in HSRP on
   an interface MUST NOT send ICMP redirects on that interface."

I think it means that if you use HSRP then you should not use the real ip
address as default gateway, and Cisco just disables it by default. Actually
if it is enabled, the traffic using the real ip address as their gateway
will be icmp-redirected the some other routers, this should have nothing to
do this HSRP, as other routers redundancy is not part of this HSRP
function. I am only talking about the old IOS version. Thanks for the infor
about the new feature.

Kent Yu