Re: [nsp] BGP Advertisements

From: Philip Smith (pfs@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 09:32:29 EST

At 19:24 05/02/2001 +0530, Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Thanks once again for the advice. Just a few questions.
>
>Question: If I am looking at using IP Unnumbered for NON-MPLS circuits,
>Could'nt I do good with one loopback address per aggregation router?

Yes, you only need one loopback interface per aggregation, with one /32
address. This loopback address must appear in your IGP.

>Question: Is it preffered to use IBGP on aggregation routers, & announce
>customer prefixes into the network using IBGP, instead of treating them as
>external / stub links ie in the case of OSPF reducing overhead in the IGP,
>& also reducing the floating of LSA's.

Nop, see previous messages. Your options are:

a) use ip unnumbered as discussed, put customer networks into iBGP.

b) use /30s (or /31s) on point-to-point links to customers, carry the /30s
(or /31s) in your IGP, and the customer networks in iBGP.

c) use /30s (or /31s) on point-to-point links to customers, use
next-hop-self in iBGP, and block the /30s (or /31s) from entering your IGP.

I have a personal preference (from experience) for a), but c) works just
fine too. With b) you will eventually run into scalability problems with
your IGP (been there, done that, migrated to option a)).

HTH,

philip