Re: [nsp] REG: Cisco 2610 problems

From: ken lindahl (lindahl@ack.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 11:51:42 EST

i've not seen an answer to this question:

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, "Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni" <vac@dsqworld.com> wrote:
>I seem to getting this message in my router log continously, Is this an
>indication of a network with high collissions, or else does it indicate
>any fault in the router ethernet port.
>
>"Feb 9 19:35:50.577 IST: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error
>"

it indicates a late collision, which means that a collision occurred after
the period during which a collision should occur on a correctly functioning
net. it does not necessarily indicate high collisions; rather it indicates
that some device(s) is malfunctioning; it is transmitting after the time
where it should have detected a collision and backed off. i think you
cannot infer from the message whether the problem lies with the router
interface or with another device.

the system error message doc (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121sup/121sems/index.htm) says:

   Error Message

   %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: AMDP2/FE 0/0/[dec], Late collision

   Explanation Late collisions occurred on the Ethernet or Fast Ethernet
   interface.

   Recommended Action If the interface is Fast Ethernet, verify that both
   peers are in the same duplex mode. For regular Ethernet, the system should
   recover. No action is required.

(yes, the error message has different text; i could not find one with the
exact text you listed.)

cheers,
ken