RE: [nsp] Best DS1 mux for NM-1A-OC3?

From: Dan Hollis (goemon@anime.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:05:22 EST

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Martin, Christian wrote:
> > We are an ISP selling DS1s and would like to get the best DS1
> > density from our Ciscos, ATM muxing OC3 into DS1s looks like the best
> > way to do this.
> If you are trying to avoid distance costs, you should go with Frame Relay
> for your customer connections.

No no no!

We want to mux on *OUR* end.

We have a zillion ciscos for a zillion discrete DS1's, spread out in a
zillion racks.

We would like to get those DS1s moved into the least rack space possible.
The best way I can see to do this is muxing all the DS1s on our side with
a nice DS1->OC3 mux and feeding that into a cisco. Like so:

         .------- Our facilities ---------.
         | |
Telco -> | DS1 -- +---+ +-----+ |
Telco -> | DS1 -- |OC3| -- OC3 -- |Cisco| |
Telco -> | DS1 -- |Mux| +-----+ |
Telco -> | DS1 -- +---+ |
         `--------------------------------'

And no, the telco can't provide the DS1's over DS3 or OC3. Don't ask.

> If you would like to terminate PTP or channelized DS1s into an OC3 router
> port, you will have to wait. Cisco will be shipping a 2 port CHOC3 LC for
> the GSR which should allow you to extract 84 T1s from a given OC3, but I
> don't know when. Amber Networks and Juniper will likeley be offering
> similar products. YMMV. Finally, you will need a Special Assembly from the
> LEC to get VT1.5 drops from an OC3 - a considerable process in and of
> itself. If you want to do channelized service, go with CT3. If you own a
> DACS - and I mean a big sucker like the Alcatel 1631, then you can play with
> all sorts of channelization.

There isnt a simple basic standalone CT3->DS1 mux that can be interfaced
to a cisco? Eg a box with T3 on one side and a bunch of DS1 ports on the
other, and no other silliness?

-Dan