RE: [nsp] Best DS1 mux for NM-1A-OC3?

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:15:32 EST

> > If you are trying to avoid distance costs, you should go
> with Frame Relay
> > for your customer connections.
>
> No no no!

Dan,

Are you saying that Frame Relay access is less preferred than PTP access?
Maybe in Metro areas, but nowhere else, speaking solely in terms of cost.

> We want to mux on *OUR* end.
>
> We have a zillion ciscos for a zillion discrete DS1's, spread out in a
> zillion racks.
>
> We would like to get those DS1s moved into the least rack
> space possible.
> The best way I can see to do this is muxing all the DS1s on
> our side with
> a nice DS1->OC3 mux and feeding that into a cisco. Like so:
>
> .------- Our facilities ---------.
> | |
> Telco -> | DS1 -- +---+ +-----+ |
> Telco -> | DS1 -- |OC3| -- OC3 -- |Cisco| |
> Telco -> | DS1 -- |Mux| +-----+ |
> Telco -> | DS1 -- +---+ |
> `--------------------------------'

Can you give me the part number for CHOC3? Does not exist at this time.

> And no, the telco can't provide the DS1's over DS3 or OC3. Don't ask.

In which country are you speaking of? We have hundreds upon hundreds of DS1
ports landing on CT3 cards from the LEC.

> > If you would like to terminate PTP or channelized DS1s into
> an OC3 router
> > port, you will have to wait. Cisco will be shipping a 2
> port CHOC3 LC for
> > the GSR which should allow you to extract 84 T1s from a
> given OC3, but I
> > don't know when. Amber Networks and Juniper will likeley
> be offering
> > similar products. YMMV. Finally, you will need a Special
> Assembly from the
> > LEC to get VT1.5 drops from an OC3 - a considerable process
> in and of
> > itself. If you want to do channelized service, go with
> CT3. If you own a
> > DACS - and I mean a big sucker like the Alcatel 1631, then
> you can play with
> > all sorts of channelization.
>
> There isnt a simple basic standalone CT3->DS1 mux that can be
> interfaced
> to a cisco? Eg a box with T3 on one side and a bunch of DS1
> ports on the
> other, and no other silliness?

Sure there is. He was asking about OC3. 3:1:0 muxes are plentiful. But
you are still terminating DS1s in your POP from the LEC. This is less
desirable as the number of DS1s rises. If CT3 service is available, and you
have more that 8T1s, then get CT3. If not, get M13 muxes and do the
cross-connect yourself.