Re: [nsp] CEF, BGP tables and memory

From: Philip Smith (pfs@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 08:24:31 EST

At 12:26 12/02/2001 +0800, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:56:12PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > I don't think so. I think Barry is mistaken and isn't running
> > recent software after some more tests of mine today w/ 12.0(15)S.
>
>I'm also mistaken and find that my 128MB non-VXR *can* run CEF. But I think
>the 5MB free is a bit low, isn't it?

5MB is borderline (depending on what else you are doing on there), I
wouldn't let it get below 3MB (my experience - others will have differing
experience depending on where they are on the Internet). And watch what the
largest free chunk is - if it is significantly different from the amount of
free memory, it is potentially a danger point.

A 7206/NPE150 I have is managing with 128M RAM, 4 full feeds, and no CEF,
with 14 Mbytes free (largest chunk 6Mbytes). CEF table is about 20Mbytes if
you have a full routing table view, so you could carry 3 full feeds with a
tight squeeze (but more realistic to carry only 2 feeds with CEF). Add
soft-reconfig with lots of inbound policy, and 2 starts getting unrealistic.

And that's with 12.0(13)S2 and the k4p version of the image.

HTH,

philip