Re: Re:[nsp] Cisco 6400....

From: Rodney van den Oever (RvdOever@chello.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 15:13:30 EST

> >>Can I get some feedback on the Cisco 6400 doing PPPoE...good and bad. I
> >heard BellSouth is yanking these things out and putting in somebody elses
> >box...rumor. The NSP2 claims 16'000 PPPoE sessions per card. Has
anybody
> >got this in production or can make claims either way.

Cisco claims 16000 sessions, but the IOS release notes mention 4000
sessions, so that's what I count on. So you may require multiple NRP2's.
Cisco emphasizes that you will need 512MB more than 4000 users.

> Dunno about PPPoE, but doing RFC-bridging it runs very badly, with 1000
maximum DSL users per NRP.

Using IRB or RBE? RBE is supposedly a lot more efficient.

>Test by the same telco with PPPoA yelded the same results. The NSP is just
an ATM switch, it will
>probably scale easily, the issue is the NRPs where sessions are terminated.
May be a new NRP based >on the processor used in NPE-400 is what they are
talking about.

> Let's hope Cisco starts moving DSL and dial-up aggregation to 10K, today
targeted only at leased-line >aggregation. In the meantime, 6400 is another
product that I wouldn't put any money on; Redback, >Cosine and Shasta all
have better solutions to choose among them based on price/features balance.
>Redback is getting most of the new contracts I've known about.

We have to make the choice between the 6400, Redback (SMS-1800 or 10000) and
possibly Nortel Shasta. The Redback platforms are very expensive, for
instance, BGP support in the Redback will set you back some $25.000! Cisco
has good papers if you look at price/performance and software features (I
consider MPLS-VPN's to be quite an important feature, which, although
claimed by Cisco, is not yet supported if you look at the release notes more
carefully). More scary: the GigE interface of the NRP-2 is not even
supported yet!

Does anyone know if the NRP-2 GigE interface support trunking, either 802.1q
or ISL?

--
Rodney van den Oever / KeyID 0x0A6CCE53
'OIR - On Insertion Reload'