[nsp] ATM VBR on Cisco

From: Travis Pugh (tpugh@shore.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 12:16:55 EST

Hi List.

We're testing some backbone new connections, ATM OC12 on GSR to Lucent
GX550, running vbr-nrt. I've noticed extremely variable latency going from
interface to interface across the ATM ... something on the order of:

Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/46/56
ms

When we try the same test on a UBR interface, default 100-byte packets, we
see the much more normal:

Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/36/40
ms

This behavior is pretty consistent across multiple links. Has anyone seen
any problems with vbr-nrt on Cisco? I'm trying to figure out if it is a
Cisco problem or something with the GX.

As I understand vbr, the traffic isn't buffered at the router (although it
apparently shapes, else what is the purpose of setting pcr and scr?) but
is heavily buffered on the ATM switch itself. I'm wondering if this is
normal behavior for a vbr setup on the switch, or on the router, or if
someone hosed a software implementation.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-travis