Re: [nsp] cisco 2924_XL-EN or C3524XL-EN

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz (map@internet.org.ph)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 21:41:01 EST

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:36:13PM -0500, Frank Jimenez wrote:
> Neither has Layer 3. If you want Layer 3, Look at the Catalyst 2948G-L3.
> It's a nice box for a good price.

Since this is an NSP list... after reading the page for this, it's not clear
what the QoS features are. I would need this:

>The Catalyst 2948G-L3 supports per-port input rate limiting, output rate limiting, and traffic shaping on Gigabit Ethernet and Fast Ethernet interfaces. The per-port rate limiting feature provides the ability to rate limit the input and/or output traffic of a port. The traffic rate of the port is monitored. The conforming traffic is allowed, and the nonconforming traffic is dropped. The per-port shaping feature provides the ability to shape the output of a port. The output traffic rate of the port is monitored to verify that the traffic leaves the interface at the user-configured rate. When excess traffic comes into the switch, back pressure is applied from the modules to the switch fabric, and the excess traffic gets queued in the switch fabric. If the switch fabric queues overflow, the excess traffic is dropped. The minimum rate is 32 kbps, with a granularity of 32 kbps.

Is this CAR, GTS or something unique to the Catalyst?

The Security section mentions access lists on the GE interfaces. So these
are not present on the FE ones?

Is there a small switch that has the "full" IOS functionality or do we really
need 6000 series or above for Cisco?

--

http://www.internet.org.ph The Philippine Internet Resource Mobile Voice/Messaging: +63-917-810-9728