[nsp] MSFC, PFC, CEF, CAR, oh boy!

From: Alex Rubenstein (alex@nac.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 11:20:53 EST

I just got my first 6509, with a SUP2, MSFC2, and PFC2. We're running it
in Hybrid mode (seperate CatOS and IOS). It seems this is the better way,
as we have many VLANs that have many ports spanned across multiple
switches.

The switch and MSFC are working fine; I mean, it's routing, and it's fast.
However, CAR, using simple rate-limit statements on the interface VLANx is
not working. I know this is expected.

The question is: How do you do traffic-shaping or the equiv of CAR on a
MSFC2/PFC2 in hybrid? I've read a lot about class-maps and policy-maps and
my head hurts.

Anyone got a simple explanation, pointer, or sample config they can share
with me? Remember: hybrid mode.

Thanks!