RE: [nsp] MSFC, PFC, CEF, CAR, oh boy!

From: Ian Cox (icox@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 13:55:50 EST

At 09:14 AM 3/1/2001 -0800, ken lindahl wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, "F. David Sinn" <dsinn@cisco.com> wrote:
> >What you need to do is enable CAR on the Catalyst side of the hybrid
> >configuration. I don't have the URL in front of me right now, but will look
> >for it and get back to you.
>
>interesting. our cisco support folk seemed to encourage us to run
>"non-hybrid" configuration (IOS on MSFC, cat6000-sup* on the sup) last
>year when we brought the first of these up. (fwiw, these are
>sup1/PFC1/MSFC1 in case that matters.)
>
>is there a way to accomplish CAR-like rate-limiting in this configuration?
>(i haven't had a need, but assumed all along that it could be done using
>some of the cat6000-sup* QoS features.) or should we be looking at converting
>to hybrid configuration?

CAR is a QoS feature on the Cat6k, and it gets called policing.

The Supervisor IOS way to configure policing is shown below, both the
Supervisor IOS and CatOS policing features turn on the same functions in
the underlying ASICs. Policing is performed as one of the steps in the
forwarding process on the Cat6k PFC1 and PFC2.

http://www/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/ios127xe/qos.htm

Ian