RE: [nsp] Limiting bandwidth use from the far end of the link

From: Barry Raveendran Greene (bgreene@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 09:02:22 EST

Hello Miguel,

Yes, you can use CAR on the ingress port of your international connection.
The problem is that your would have already paid for the dropped packets -
since they have already crossed your trans-oceanic link.

One step you might look into is to lease a router from your upstream
provider in the US. Several US providers do this. They lease you one of
their routers (7200 is the usual router). Your link is connected to this
router. You can then CAR/traffic shape/RED on the US side of the ocean -
before you really pay for the packet.

Check with your upstream.

Barry