Re: [nsp] Experience with NSE-1 and IOS 12.0S?

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 13:28:08 EST

It may vary depending on the architecuture.

My learning experience was on a 3640, which had been stable, but started
maxing out CPU days after I'd turned on IP accounting with a large number
of entries and forgotten about it. It was doing mostly newsfeeds and
getting news traffic from one of the "newer" entries in the list would
max out the CPU.

More recent experience during attacks seems to confirm a fairly direct
linkage bettween the size of the accounting list and CPU utiization/
survivability. You can have a lot of entries in the list as long as
they're not being hit hard. Depending on the algorithm they're using,
"misses" (aka adds to the list) could be the most expensive operation
in terms of CPU utilization.

Ip accounting is fairly useless except as a debugging tool, it would
be nice if you could specify a source/dest mask so that you could
bucket by class-C (for example) vs. specific addresses.

                                                George