Re: [nsp] [nsp] best practice for bgp load balancing with unequal bandwidth

From: Bill Woodcock (woody@zocalo.net)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 00:54:17 EST

> After adding the second link, most of the incoming traffic are going via the
> 2 second isp. This situation make the bandwidth utilisation on those two
> link are not equal, the smaller bandwidth link is over utilised than the
> bigger one.
> So if there are way to solve this problem beside doing a manual selection by
> as-prepend to a certain AS number?

One other way that I sometimes use in situations like that is to
(extrapolating to your sitionation) continue taking a full set of routes
from the first ISP, but discard all routes with an AS-path longer than,
say, three hops from the second ISP. Thus only traffic that will
significantly benefit fromt he direct path to the US will take the second
ISP, while things that are further away, where the difference will be
noticed less, take the first ISP.

                                -Bill