Re: [nsp] REG: LABEL Distribution

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 09:39:49 EST

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 07:20:38PM +0530, Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I have understood rightly, All prefixes which are not advertised
> internally using an IGP, & advertised using any form of BGP (probably
> Internet routes, & customer prefixes)excluding MiBGP will not have labels
> generated. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

So what I think you said is

all prefixes
  (not in IGP) && (advertised using BGP other than MiBGP)
don't have labels

...and I'm still not sure I follow exactly what you meant. But look
at it this way (which may be the same thing):

iff (prefix in IGP) then (distribute label)

that's it. :)

> Similarily if I have a 26xx router which does not support LDP / TDP
> physically located on a Broadcast media such as Ethernet, where there are
> other LDP / TDP routers present, How will route exchange happen between
> the two class of routers. Will labels be generated, or will the routers
> exchange IP Prefix updates based on the class of the neighbor. Just
> guessing?

Routing and LDP/TDP don't pay attention to each other. Routes will be
exchanged, labels will be exchanged, and all will pretty much work.
You may want to set this up to test, and see for yourself.

> The 12.1(7) Enterprise IOS set, only has the "tag-switching ip" command
> set, & supports only TDP, But the other MPLS commands are there including
> traffic engineering commands, My question is an I set up LSP Tunnels for
> TE, while using TDP on a Cisco only network. Kindly excuse me if the
> question is a very basic one.

LDP is in 12.0(10)ST and higher, and will be in 12.2.

eric